Sewing Cabinet

I was super excited when I found this sewing cabinet on ebay for £60. After checking with the seller that it worked, I clicked “buy it now” and it arrived just in time for lock down to start.

I knew that I’d have to do something to cover the mid-century laminate styling and decided to use chalk paint and replace the handles. Not having primer and not wanting to buy anything new, I sanded it down and then used 3 coats of white chalk paint similar to this one.

Then I took off the old handles, used wood filler and replaced with these cute button handles I had found on a freecycle site a couple of years ago and were just waiting for me to sort a craft room out. If I was doing this again, I would have removed the handles and filled prior to painting as I can still just see indents where the old screw holes were.

And voila! One upcycled sewing cabinet ready to sew. I’d love to know what you think.

upcycled sewing cabinet
The finished cabinet

Note: this post contains associate links. Clicking on them won’t cost you anything but will help keep this blog going.

curious crafter, aspiring author, board game enthusiast